A home is your most valued possession. Here are some tips for selecting a builder/remodeler or subcontractor for new
home construction, remodeling and repair. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Huntsville Madison
County Builders Association at (256) 536-2602.
- Builders and remodelers must be licensed through the Alabama Home Builders
- Licensure Board - the only exception to this are those builders who were
- licensed as a general contractor prior to January 1, 1992 - they are exempt but
- should have proof of a General Contractors License. The Alabama Home
- Builders Licensure Board phone number is 800-304-0853
- (www.hblb.state.al.us). If your builder/remodeler is licensed as a general
- contractor, you can verify their license through the Alabama Licensing Board
- for General Contractors at 334-272-5030 (www.genconbd.state.al.us). The
- Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board will prosecute unlicensed builders in
- the State of Alabama and should be contacted if you have been approached by someone that is unlicensed.
- Ask for proof of a business license from the municipality or county where you live. The business license should list the scope of work they are licensed for. Builders and subcontractors should have a business license as required by law in the area in which you live.
- Ask for proof of general liability and worker’s compensation insurance.
- In Madison County, the City of Huntsville, and the City of Madison, jobs should be permitted and inspected. You should check with the inspection department in your area for complete information on what is required.
- City of Huntsville Inspection Dept - 256-427-5336
- City of Madison Inspection Dept - 256-772-5644
- Madison County Inspection Dept - 256-746-2950
- Ask for references and check those references.
- Verify the company’s permanent business address is in your area and not from out of state.
- If you get more than one bid (which you should), be sure you are comparing apples to apples – prices vary on brands of appliances, doors, windows, shingles, etc.
- You should understand your contract and warranties that the builder will provide for the work being performed. The contract should outline the scope of the work, the price, and at what points of completion payment is due. The contract should also include a time frame for the job; however, be aware that delays can be caused by weather, material shortages, subcontractors schedules, etc.
- Be wary of low bids - the lowest bid is not always the best.
- Be wary of a contractor who wants full payment before the job begins.
- Visit www.hmcba.org (Huntsville Madison County Builders Association) for a member listing of builders and subcontractors in the Madison County area. These are local professionals that live and work in this community every day. You can also call 256-536-2602 (Huntsville Madison County Builders Association) for a list of contractors and subcontractors if you do not have internet access.
- If you live outside of Madison County, there are builders associations in surrounding areas (Limestone County, Morgan County, Marshall County). If you have internet access, go to www.hbaa.org for a listing of Builders Associations by county. If you do not have internet access, call the Builders Association office at 256-536-2602 and we can provide you with their telephone numbers.
- Most importantly - do your homework.
- If you feel you have been the victim of home repair fraud, you should contact the Attorney General’s Consumer Hotline at 800-392-5658 (www.ago.state.al.us).